Stuffed Grape Leaves Recipe
Here’s a recipe for delicious stuffed grape leaves, also known as Dolmas or Dolmades:
- 1 jar of grape leaves in brine (about 40-50 leaves)
- 1 cup of uncooked white rice
- 1/2 pound of ground beef or lamb (optional, for meat filling)
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1/4 cup of chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon of paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground cloves
- 1/2 cup of vegetable broth or water
- If using grape leaves in brine, rinse them thoroughly under cold water to remove excess salt. If using fresh grape leaves, blanch them in boiling water for 2-3 minutes, then drain and rinse under cold water.
- In a medium bowl, combine the uncooked rice, ground beef or lamb (if using), chopped onion, parsley, minced garlic, lemon juice, olive oil, salt, black pepper, cumin, cinnamon, paprika, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves. Mix well to combine.
- Place a grape leaf on a flat surface, vein side up, and trim off the stem if necessary. Place a small spoonful of the rice mixture near the stem end of the leaf. Fold the sides of the leaf over the filling, then roll it up tightly into a cylinder shape, tucking in the sides as you go. Repeat with the remaining grape leaves and rice mixture.
- Place the stuffed grape leaves seam side down in a single layer in a large pot. Pour in the vegetable broth or water, and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the grape leaves simmer gently for 30-40 minutes or until the rice is cooked and the flavors have melded.
- Remove the pot from the heat and let the stuffed grape leaves cool in the pot for a few minutes before serving. You can serve them warm or at room temperature as an appetizer or a side dish. Optionally, drizzle extra olive oil and lemon juice over the top before serving for added flavor.
Enjoy your delicious homemade stuffed grape leaves.