Frito de Cordero Recipe (Spanish lamb stew)
Here’s a recipe for Frito de Cordero, a delicious Spanish lamb stew:
- 1.5 lbs (700 g) boneless lamb, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or lamb broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
- Add the minced garlic, diced bell peppers, and chopped tomatoes to the pot. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are slightly softened.
- Add the lamb pieces to the pot and cook, occasionally stirring, until they are browned on all sides.
- Add the white wine, chicken or lamb broth, bay leaves, sweet paprika, smoked paprika, ground cumin, and cayenne pepper to the pot. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Bring the stew to a simmer, then reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Let it simmer gently for 1-1.5 hours or until the lamb is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Once the stew is done, taste and adjust the seasoning if needed. Remove and discard the bay leaves.
- Serve the Frito de Cordero hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley. It pairs well with crusty bread or rice.
Enjoy your delicious Frito de Cordero, a classic Spanish lamb stew.