Shoulder of Lamb Recipe (Braised in Chianti)
Here’s a delicious recipe for Shoulder of Lamb Braised in Chianti, which results in tender, flavorful meat with a rich sauce. Enjoy!
- 1 shoulder of lamb, approximately 4-5 pounds
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 2 cups Chianti wine
- 2 cups beef or lamb broth
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Pat dry the shoulder of lamb with paper towels and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat a large oven-safe pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and sear the lamb shoulder on all sides until browned. This will take about 5-7 minutes per side. Remove the lamb from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the same pot. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the Chianti wine to the pot and deglaze, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef or lamb broth, diced tomatoes, rosemary sprigs, and bay leaves to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Return the lamb shoulder to the pot, along with any accumulated juices. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, cover the pot with a lid and transfer it to the preheated oven. Braise the lamb for 3-4 hours or until the meat is tender and easily pulls apart with a fork.
- Once the lamb is done braising, carefully remove it from the pot and place it on a cutting board. Let it rest for a few minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, strain the braising liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, discarding the solids. Return the liquid to the pot and simmer over medium heat for 10 minutes to reduce and thicken the sauce.
- Carve the lamb shoulder into slices or chunks and serve with the reduced sauce on top. To complete the meal, you can also serve it with your favorite side dishes, such as mashed potatoes or roasted vegetables.
Enjoy your deliciously braised Shoulder of Lamb in Chianti!