Shish Kofte Recipe (Turkish Ground-Meat Kabobs)
Here’s a classic recipe for Shish Kofte, which is Turkish ground-meat kabobs.
For the meat mixture:
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb (or a combination of both)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground sumac (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
For the skewers:
- Wooden or metal skewers (if using wooden skewers, soak them in water for 30 minutes before using)
- Flatbread or pita bread
- Chopped vegetables, such as tomatoes, onions, and lettuce
- Lemon wedges
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground meat, chopped onion, minced garlic, parsley, tomato paste, cumin, sumac (if using), paprika, black pepper, and salt. Mix well until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- If using wooden skewers, thread the meat mixture onto them, shaping them into small cylindrical shapes, about 3-4 inches long and 1 inch thick. You can shape the meat mixture directly onto metal skewers if using metal skewers.
- Preheat a grill or barbecue to medium-high heat. Place the skewers on the grill and cook for about 6-8 minutes per side or until they are cooked through and slightly charred on the outside.
- Once cooked, remove the skewers from the grill and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Serve the Shish Kofte hot with flatbread or pita bread, chopped vegetables, and lemon wedges on the side. You can also serve them with yogurt or tahini sauce for dipping.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Shish Kofte.