Khoresche Esfanaj (A traditional Ramadan dish)
Khoreshe Esfanaj, also known as Spinach Stew, is a traditional Iranian dish that is often prepared during the holy month of Ramadan. It is a hearty and flavorful stew made with spinach, tender pieces of meat, and a tangy tomato-based sauce. Here is a recipe for Khoreshe Esfanaj:
- 500g spinach, washed and chopped
- 500g meat (such as beef, lamb, or chicken), cubed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground saffron (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Water as needed
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the minced garlic to the pot and sauté for another minute.
- Add the cubed meat to the pot and cook until it is browned on all sides.
- Stir in the turmeric, cinnamon, and tomato paste, and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, ground saffron (if using), salt, and pepper to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Add enough water to cover the meat, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 1 hour, or until the meat is tender.
- Add the chopped spinach to the pot and stir well. Cook for another 10-15 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted and cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve Khoreshe Esfanaj hot with steamed rice or bread.
Khoreshe Esfanaj is a delicious and nourishing dish that is often enjoyed during Ramadan in Iran. It is rich in flavors and nutrients from the spinach and meat, and the tomato-based sauce adds a tangy and slightly sweet note to the stew. It is a comforting and satisfying dish that is perfect for breaking fast during the holy month of Ramadan.