Pilav Kuzulu Recipe (Lamb Pilaf)
Here’s a recipe for Pilav Kuzulu, a delicious Turkish dish made with lamb and rice. This recipe serves 4 people.
- 500g lamb meat, cubed
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 cups hot water
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Rinse the rice in cold water several times until the water runs clear. Then, soak the rice in cold water for about 30 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- Melt the butter and vegetable oil over medium heat in a large pot or deep pan.
- Add the chopped onions and sauté until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the cubed lamb meat to the pot and cook until it’s browned on all sides.
- Add the salt, black pepper, ground cumin, paprika, and ground turmeric to the pot. Stir well to coat the meat with the spices.
- Add the soaked and drained rice to the pot and stir to combine with the meat and spices.
- Pour the hot water over the rice and meat mixture. Give it a gentle stir.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then cover the pot with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Let it simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the rice is fully cooked and the flavors melded together.
- Once the pilaf is cooked, remove the pot from the heat and let it sit, covered, for another 10 minutes to allow the flavors to develop further and the rice to steam.
- Fluff the pilaf with a fork and transfer it to a serving platter. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley.
- Serve hot, and enjoy your delicious Pilav Kuzulu.
You can also add chopped vegetables such as carrots or peas to the pilaf for flavor and nutrition. Simply sauté them with the onions in step 3 before adding the meat. Adjust the cooking time accordingly to ensure the vegetables are cooked through.