Picadillo Recipe (Cuban Sloppy Joes)
Here’s a delicious recipe for Picadillo, a Cuban dish similar to Sloppy Joes. It’s a flavorful and comforting dish perfect for a family dinner.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Serve with: cooked white rice, toasted bread, or buns
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions, bell peppers, garlic, and sauté until softened for about 5 minutes.
- Add ground beef to the skillet and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned and cooked through.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, beef broth, tomato paste, raisins, olives, cumin, chili powder, paprika, dried oregano, salt, and pepper to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve the Picadillo over cooked white rice or toasted bread/buns. You can also garnish with additional sliced olives.
Enjoy your delicious Cuban Picadillo! It’s a tasty, comforting dish perfect for a family meal.