Lamb Paella Recipe (A Spanish Shore Specialty)
Here’s a recipe for Lamb Paella, a delicious Spanish dish typically made with rice, vegetables, and lamb and flavored with saffron and other aromatic spices. It’s a popular dish from the shores of Spain and perfect for gatherings or special occasions.
- 1.5 lbs lamb shoulder or leg, boneless, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups Arborio or short-grain rice
- 4 cups chicken or lamb broth
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- Lemon wedges for serving
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large paella pan or a wide, shallow skillet.
- Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and sauté until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the diced bell peppers and cook for another 2-3 minutes until they soften.
- Add the lamb pieces and cook until they are browned on all sides.
- Stir in the Arborio or short-grain rice and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently, until the rice is lightly toasted.
- Heat the chicken or lamb broth in a separate pot until it’s hot but not boiling. Add the saffron threads to the hot broth and steep it for 5 minutes.
- Add the hot saffron-infused broth, canned diced tomatoes, frozen peas, smoked paprika, paprika, thyme, rosemary, salt, and black pepper to the paella pan. Stir everything together.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer uncovered for about 20-25 minutes, or until the rice is cooked through and has absorbed most of the liquid. Avoid stirring the rice during this time as the bottom layer forms a crust known as “socarrat” a prized element of a good paella.
- Once the rice is cooked, remove the paella pan from the heat and cover it with a clean kitchen towel. Let it rest for about 5 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Serve the Lamb Paella hot, garnished with lemon wedges on the side for squeezing over the top. Enjoy the rich, savory flavors of this Spanish shore specialty!
You can also customize your Lamb Paella by adding other seafood such as shrimp, mussels, or clams, as well as other vegetables like artichokes or asparagus, depending on your preferences. Just adjust the cooking time accordingly for the additional ingredients.