Braised Lamb with Olives & Capers Recipe
Here’s a recipe for Braised Lamb with Olives & Capers:
- 2 pounds lamb shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef or lamb broth
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 2 tablespoons capers
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven.
- Season lamb cubes with salt and pepper, then add them to the pot in a single layer. Brown the lamb on all sides, working in batches if necessary. Transfer the browned lamb to a plate and set aside.
- In the same pot, add chopped onion and sauté until softened and lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add minced garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Deglaze the pot with red wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until the wine has reduced by half.
- Add beef or lamb broth, diced tomatoes, tomato paste, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, olives, and capers to the pot. Stir well to combine.
- Return the browned lamb cubes to the pot, along with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and cover the pot with a lid.
- Simmer the lamb for 1.5 to 2 hours, occasionally stirring, until the meat is tender and easily pulls apart with a fork.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve the braised lamb with olives and capers over cooked pasta, mashed potatoes, or crusty bread. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Braised Lamb with Olives & Capers!