Mulligatawny Soup Recipe
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbsp grated ginger
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook until softened about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger, carrot, celery, and apple, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder, cumin, and coriander, and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Pour in the chicken or vegetable broth, and add the lentils and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- Stir in the coconut milk, salt, and black pepper, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. If you don’t have an immersion blender, let the soup cool slightly and then puree in a blender in batches.
- Return the soup to the pot and reheat it if necessary. Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh cilantro.
Enjoy your homemade Mulligatawny Soup!