(Spicy Lamb Sausage with optional Harissa paste)
Here’s a recipe for making spicy lamb Merguez sausage with optional Harissa paste:
- 2 lbs ground lamb
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground fennel
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon chili flakes (adjust according to the desired level of spiciness)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup harissa paste (optional)
- Mix the ground lamb, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, fennel, cinnamon, chili flakes, salt, and minced garlic in a large bowl. Mix well to distribute the spices evenly.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to meld.
- Meanwhile, if using the harissa paste, mix the paste with 1/4 cup of water to create a thinner consistency.
- Once the lamb mixture has chilled, remove it from the fridge and form it into sausage shapes. You can use a sausage stuffer or simply create them by hand.
- Preheat your grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- Grill the sausages for about 4-5 minutes per side or until they are cooked through and slightly charred.
- If using the harissa paste, serve the sausages with a dollop of the paste on top or the side for dipping.
Enjoy your homemade spicy lamb Merguez sausage with or without the optional harissa paste.