Jamaican Me Crazy Recipe (lamb meat pies)
Here’s a recipe for Jamaican Me Crazy Lamb Meat Pies:
For the Lamb Filling:
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup beef or lamb broth
- 1 tbsp Jamaican jerk seasoning
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tbsp butter
For the Pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into small cubes
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup ice water
- Heat the vegetable oil and butter over medium heat in a large skillet. Add the onion, garlic, bell pepper, and carrot, and cook until the vegetables are softened about 5 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb to the skillet and cook until browned, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Stir in the tomato sauce, beef or lamb broth, Jamaican jerk seasoning, curry powder, thyme, salt, and black pepper. Bring to a simmer and let it cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors meld together and the filling thickens. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the flour and salt for the pastry in a large mixing bowl. Add the cold cubed butter and use a pastry cutter or your fingers to work the butter into the flour until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- Gradually add the ice water, starting with 1/4 cup and adding more as needed, until the dough comes together into a ball. Be careful not to overwork the dough. Form the dough into a disc, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the lamb filling and pastry are chilled, remove them from the refrigerator. On a floured surface, roll out the pastry to about 1/8-inch thickness. Use a round cookie cutter or a glass to cut out circles about 4-5 inches in diameter.
- Place a spoonful of the chilled lamb filling in the center of each pastry circle. Fold the circle in half to form a half-moon shape and crimp the edges with a fork to seal.
- Place the lamb meat pies on the prepared baking sheet and brush the tops with a little egg wash or milk for a shiny finish.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown and crispy.
- Remove from the oven and let the lamb meat pies cool for a few minutes before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Jamaican Me Crazy Lamb Meat Pies! They’re perfect for snacks, appetizers, or even main dishes. Serve them with your favorite dipping sauce, or enjoy them on their own. Happy cooking!