Martabak Recipe (An Indonesian Lamb Snack)
Here’s a recipe for Martabak, a popular Indonesian lamb snack:
For the filling:
- 250g ground lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs, beaten
For the wrapper:
- 200g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg
- 200ml water
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
For dipping sauce:
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (kecap manis)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon chopped red chili (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil in a pan over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and green onions. Sauté until fragrant.
- Add the ground lamb to the pan and cook until it changes color and is cooked through.
- Add the curry, turmeric, coriander, cumin powder, salt, and black pepper to the pan. Stir well to combine. Cook for another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Whisk together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, egg, and water in a mixing bowl to make the wrapper batter.
- Heat vegetable oil for deep frying in a large pan or wok over medium heat.
- Pour about 1/4 cup of the wrapper batter into the hot oil and spread it out into a thin round shape using the back of a spoon. Cook for about 1 minute until the edges are crispy and golden.
- Spoon 2 tablespoons of the cooked lamb filling onto one side of the wrapper. Fold the other side over to form a half-moon shape. Press the edges with a fork to seal the martabak.
- Carefully flip the martabak and fry for another 1-2 minutes until both sides are crispy and golden brown.
- Remove the martabak from the oil and place it on a paper towel-lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- Repeat the process with the remaining batter and filling.
- In a small bowl, mix together sweet soy sauce, vinegar, and chopped red chili (if using) to make the dipping sauce.
- Serve the martabak hot with the dipping sauce on the side. Enjoy your delicious Indonesian lamb snack!
You can also customize the filling by adding or substituting it with other ingredients, such as eggs, vegetables, or cheese, according to your preference.