Lamb Stew with Lemon and Olives Recipe (Moroccan)
Here’s a recipe for Moroccan Lamb Stew with Lemon and Olives, a delicious and aromatic dish perfect for a cozy family dinner or a special occasion.
- 1.5 kg (3.3 lbs) lamb shoulder, cut into chunks
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 preserved lemon, seeds removed and rind thinly sliced
- 1 cup green olives
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp saffron threads
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups beef or lamb broth
- Chopped fresh cilantro or parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the lamb chunks and brown them on all sides until golden brown. Remove the lamb from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onions, carrots, and celery, and sauté until they start to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the minced garlic and sauté for an additional 1 minute.
- Add the ground cumin, coriander, ginger, paprika, cinnamon, cayenne pepper, saffron threads, black pepper, and salt to the pot, and stir to combine.
- Return the lamb to the pot, along with any accumulated juices. Add the beef or lamb broth, sliced preserved lemon, and green olives to the pot, and bring to a boil.
- Once the stew has come to a boil, reduce the heat to low and cover the pot with a lid. Let the stew simmer for 1.5 to 2 hours or until the lamb is tender and the flavors have melded together.
- Taste and adjust seasoning with additional salt and pepper, if desired. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro or parsley before serving.
- Serve the Moroccan Lamb Stew with Lemon and Olives over couscous or with crusty bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
Enjoy the rich and tangy flavors of this Moroccan Lamb Stew with Lemon and Olives, and savor the deliciousness of this comforting dish!