Lamb with Prunes Recipe (Agneau aux Pruneaux)
Here’s a classic recipe for Lamb with Prunes, also known as “Agneau aux Pruneaux,” a traditional French dish that is rich and flavorful. Enjoy!
For the lamb:
- 2 pounds lamb shoulder or leg, cut into chunks
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 2 cups red wine
- 2 cups beef or lamb broth
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the prune sauce:
- 1 cup pitted prunes
- 1 cup red wine
- 1 cup beef or lamb broth
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch dissolved in 2 tablespoons water
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Cooked potatoes, rice, or crusty bread
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven. Add the lamb chunks and brown on all sides until nicely seared. Remove the lamb from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrot, and celery to the same pot. Cook until softened and lightly golden, about 5 minutes.
- Return the lamb to the pot with the vegetables. Add the red wine, beef or lamb broth, bay leaves, and rosemary. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover the pot and let simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until the lamb is tender and falls apart easily with a fork.
- While the lamb is simmering, prepare the prune sauce. Combine the pitted prunes, red wine, beef or lamb broth, honey, and Dijon mustard in a separate saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the dissolved cornstarch and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly, until the sauce thickens.
- Once the lamb is cooked, remove the bay leaves and rosemary sprig from the pot. Add the prune sauce to the lamb and stir gently to coat the lamb with the sauce.
- Simmer for another 10 minutes, allowing the flavors to meld together.
- Serve the lamb with prunes over cooked potatoes, rice, or crusty bread. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley for added flavor and freshness.
Enjoy your delicious Lamb with Prunes, a classic French dish perfect for special occasions or a hearty family meal.