Lamb with Fava Beans Recipe (Avas Frescas con Carne)
- 1 1/2 lbs lamb stew meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 cup dried fava beans
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground paprika
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups water
- Soak the dried fava beans in water overnight or for at least 4-6 hours. Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and sauté until softened and translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic to the pot and sauté for another 1-2 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the lamb pieces to the pot and cook until browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, chopped cilantro, chopped parsley, ground cumin, ground turmeric, ground paprika, ground cinnamon, black pepper, and salt to taste. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
- Add the soaked fava beans and 4 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and let simmer uncovered for about 1 hour, or until the lamb is tender and the fava beans are cooked through.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve the lamb with fava beans hot, garnished with additional chopped cilantro and parsley, if desired. This dish can be served with rice or bread on the side for a complete meal.
Enjoy your delicious Lamb with Fava Beans (Avas Frescas con Carne) dish!