Lachmanjan Recipe (Armenian lamb and tomato bread)
Here’s a recipe for Lachmanjan, an Armenian dish made with seasoned ground lamb and tomatoes served on bread.
For the dough:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp active dry yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup warm water
For the lamb topping:
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (14 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground paprika
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Lemon wedges
- Combine the flour, yeast, salt, sugar, vegetable oil, and warm water in a large mixing bowl. Stir until a dough forms.
- Knead the dough on a floured surface for about 5 minutes until it becomes smooth and elastic. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover it with a clean cloth, and let it rise for 1-2 hours until it doubles in size.
- In a large skillet, heat some oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, garlic, and sauté until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the ground lamb to the skillet and cook until it’s browned and cooked through.
- Stir in the diced tomatoes, tomato paste, cumin, paprika, cinnamon, black pepper, and salt. Let the mixture simmer for about 10 minutes until the flavors meld together.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F (200°C).
- Punch down the risen dough and divide it into 8-10 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a thin round shape, about 6-7 inches in diameter.
- Place the dough rounds on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Spoon the lamb topping onto each dough round, leaving a small border around the edges.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes or until the edges of the dough are golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let the Lachmanjans cool for a few minutes.
- Garnish with chopped fresh parsley and serve hot with lemon wedges on the side.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Lachmanjan, an Armenian lamb and tomato bread dish.