Kibbee Recipe (Lamb & Bulgur)
Here’s a recipe for Kibbee, a traditional Middle Eastern dish made with ground lamb and bulgur wheat. It’s usually baked or fried and can be served as a main course or appetizer.
For the Kibbee shell:
- 1 1/2 cups fine bulgur wheat
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup fine semolina
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
For the Kibbee filling:
- 1/2 pound ground lamb
- 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
For frying (optional):
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C) if you plan to bake the Kibbee, or heat enough vegetable oil in a deep frying pan to fry them.
- Rinse the bulgur wheat under cold water and then drain. Place the bulgur in a bowl and cover it with warm water. Let it soak for about 10 minutes until it softens.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the soaked bulgur, ground lamb, chopped onion, semolina, mint, parsley, allspice, cinnamon, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper. Mix well to form the Kibbee shell mixture.
- In a separate bowl, prepare the Kibbee filling by combining the ground lamb, chopped onion, pine nuts, allspice, cinnamon, salt, and black pepper.
- To assemble the Kibbee, take a small handful of the Kibbee shell mixture and flatten it in the palm of your hand to form a small disc. Place a small amount of the Kibbee filling in the center of the disc and then fold the edges over to seal it, forming a ball or patties. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- If baking, place the Kibbee balls or patties on a greased baking dish and bake in the preheated oven for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep frying pan over medium heat if frying. Carefully add the Kibbee balls or patties to the hot oil and fry for about 5 minutes per side until crispy and golden brown. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil.
- Serve the Kibbee hot, garnished with fresh parsley, and accompanied by yogurt, tahini sauce, or a side salad, if desired.
Enjoy your delicious homemade Kibbee, made with lamb and bulgur.