Kashmiri-Style Curry (Rogan Josh)
Kashmiri-style curry, also known as Rogan Josh, is a popular dish from the Kashmiri cuisine, which originates from the Kashmir region in northern India. It is a rich and aromatic curry made with tender meat (usually lamb or goat) cooked in a flavorful sauce made with yogurt, spices, and Kashmiri red chili powder, which gives it a distinct red color. The name “Rogan Josh” comes from the Persian words “rogan,” which means “red” and “josh,” which means “intense heat” or “passion,” referring to the vibrant red color and bold flavors of the dish.
- 1.5 lbs lamb or goat meat, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch piece of ginger, minced
- 2-3 green cardamom pods
- 1 black cardamom pod
- 2-3 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 teaspoon Kashmiri red chili powder (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground mace
- Salt, to taste
- 3 tablespoons oil or ghee (clarified butter)
- Fresh coriander leaves, for garnish
- In a large bowl, marinate the lamb or goat meat with yogurt, minced garlic, minced ginger, and a pinch of salt. Let it sit for at least 30 minutes, or refrigerate overnight for best results.
- Heat oil or ghee in a deep pan or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, green cardamom pods, black cardamom pod, cloves, cinnamon stick, and bay leaf. Sauté for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add the finely chopped onions to the pan and sauté until golden brown.
- Add the marinated meat to the pan and cook on medium-high heat until the meat is browned on all sides.
- Add Kashmiri red chili powder, turmeric powder, paprika, ground cinnamon, ground cloves, ground ginger, ground cumin, ground coriander, ground cardamom, ground nutmeg, ground mace, and salt. Stir well to coat the meat with the spices.
- Add a little water (about 1/4 cup) and bring the mixture to a boil. Then lower the heat to a simmer, cover the pan with a lid, and let it cook for 1-1.5 hours, or until the meat is tender and cooked through, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed.
- Once the meat is cooked, check the seasoning and adjust salt and spices to taste.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves and serve hot with steamed rice, naan, or roti.
Enjoy the rich and aromatic flavors of Kashmiri-style Rogan Josh!