Greek Lamb Stew Recipe (Arni Yahni)
Here’s a delicious and easy recipe for Greek Lamb Stew, also known as Arni Yahni:
- 2 pounds lamb shoulder or leg, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 can (14 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken or beef broth
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add the lamb cubes and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the lamb from the pot and set aside.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, carrots, and celery to the same pot. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced tomatoes, chicken or beef broth, red wine, bay leaf, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Return the browned lamb to the pot and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and let the stew simmer for 1 1/2 to 2 hours or until the lamb is tender.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
- Serve hot, garnished with chopped fresh parsley.
This Greek Lamb Stew is rich in flavor and perfect for a comforting meal. Serve it with some crusty bread or over rice for a complete and satisfying dish. Enjoy!