Frikadelen and Vegetables Recipe (A South African Stew with Meatballs)
Here’s a recipe for Frikadelen and Vegetables, a delicious South African stew with meatballs:
For the meatballs (Frikadelen):
- 500g ground beef or lamb
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil, for frying
For the stew:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups beef or vegetable broth
- 1 can diced tomatoes (400g)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
- In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the meatballs (ground beef or lamb, onion, garlic, bread crumbs, egg, salt, black pepper, coriander, cumin, nutmeg, and paprika). Mix well with your hands until all the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Shape the meat mixture into small balls, about 1-2 tablespoons each.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the meatballs in batches and cook until browned on all sides. Remove the meatballs and set them aside on a plate lined with paper towels to drain excess oil.
- Add 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the same pot and heat over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, carrots, and potatoes. Cook until the vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic, curry powder, turmeric, cumin, coriander, paprika, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, cayenne pepper (if using), and bay leaf. Stir well to coat the vegetables with the spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add the beef or vegetable broth, diced tomatoes, and browned meatballs to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot, and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the meatballs are cooked through.
- Stir in the frozen peas and cook for another 5 minutes, until the peas are heated through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove the bay leaf.
- Serve hot, garnished with fresh chopped parsley. Frikadelen and Vegetable stew can be served with rice, bread, or mashed potatoes for a complete meal.
Note: You can adjust the spices and seasonings to your taste preferences. You can reduce or omit the cayenne pepper if you prefer a milder stew. Similarly, if you like it spicier, you can add more.