Donbalaan, also known as Persian Lamb Testicles, is a unique and traditional dish from Iran that many enjoy. Here is a simple recipe to prepare this delicacy at home:
- Lamb testicles, about 8-10 pieces
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Vegetable oil, for frying
For serving (optional):
- Fresh herbs, such as parsley or cilantro
- Lemon wedges
- Prepare the lamb testicles by removing the outer membrane and any excess fat. Rinse them thoroughly under cold water and pat dry with a paper towel.
- In a shallow dish, place the flour. In another shallow dish, mix the eggs and milk to create an egg wash. In a third shallow dish, place the breadcrumbs. Season the breadcrumbs with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Dredge each lamb testicle in the flour, then dip it into the egg wash, and coat it evenly with breadcrumbs. Press the breadcrumbs gently onto the testicles to adhere.
- Heat vegetable oil in a deep frying pan or a deep fryer to 350°F (180°C). Carefully add the coated lamb testicles to the hot oil and fry them for about 3-4 minutes until golden brown and crispy. Be sure not to overcrowd the pan or fryer, and fry in batches if necessary.
- Using a slotted spoon, remove the fried lamb testicles from the oil and place them on a paper towel-lined plate to drain any excess oil.
- Serve the Donbalaan hot, garnished with fresh herbs and lemon wedges, if desired.
Donbalaan is often served as a snack or appetizer in Persian cuisine. It can be enjoyed on its own or with bread, rice, or a side of yogurt for a delicious and unique culinary experience. Enjoy your Persian Lamb Testicles!