Braised Lamb Shanks Recipe (With Rosemary and Garlic)
Here’s a delicious recipe for braised lamb shanks with rosemary and garlic:
- 4 lamb shanks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups red wine (such as Cabernet Sauvignon or Merlot)
- 2 cups beef or lamb broth
- 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 bay leaves
- Chopped fresh parsley for garnish
- Preheat your oven to 325°F (160°C).
- Season the lamb shanks generously with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large oven-safe Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot.
- Add the lamb shanks and sear on all sides until nicely browned. Remove the lamb shanks from the pot and set aside.
- In the same pot, add the chopped onion and carrots. Cook until they start to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic and cook for an additional 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pot with the red wine, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Add the beef or lamb broth, rosemary sprigs, and bay leaves to the pot. Stir to combine.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pot, along with any accumulated juices. Bring the liquid to a boil.
- Cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and transfer it to the preheated oven.
- Braise the lamb shanks in the oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is fork-tender and easily falls off the bone.
- Once the lamb shanks are done, remove the pot from the oven and let them rest for a few minutes.
- Remove the rosemary sprigs and bay leaves from the pot.
- Serve the lamb shanks over mashed potatoes, polenta, or a bed of vegetables. Garnish with chopped fresh parsley for added flavor and color.
Enjoy your deliciously tender and flavorful braised lamb shanks with rosemary and garlic!