Arabian Lamb Pies Recipe
Here’s a recipe for Arabian Lamb Pies, a delicious Middle Eastern dish that combines tender lamb meat with fragrant spices, all wrapped in a crispy pastry crust. This recipe makes approximately 8-10 pies, depending on the size.
For the lamb filling:
- 500g ground lamb
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
For the pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup cold water
For the egg wash:
- 1 egg, beaten
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- In a large pan, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, minced garlic, and sauté until softened for about 3-4 minutes.
- Add the ground lamb to the pan and cook until browned, breaking it up with a spoon as it cooks.
- Add the ground cumin, coriander, cinnamon, ground allspice, ground nutmeg, salt, and black pepper to the lamb mixture. Stir well to combine.
- Cook the lamb mixture for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro. Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and salt. Add the chilled butter cubes and use a pastry cutter or your fingertips to work the butter into the flour until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Slowly add the cold water to the flour mixture, stirring with a fork until the dough comes together.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead gently for a minute or two until the dough is smooth. Form the dough into a ball, wrap it in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (350°F) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Once the dough has chilled, roll it out on a floured surface to about 1/8-inch thickness. Use a round cookie cutter or a glass to cut out circles from the dough.
- Place a spoonful of the cooled lamb filling onto the center of each dough circle. Fold the dough over to form a half-moon shape and press the edges together to seal. You can crimp the edges with a fork to create a decorative pattern.
- Place the lamb pies onto the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops of the pies with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if using.
- Bake the lamb pies in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Remove the lamb pies from the oven and let them cool for a few minutes before serving. Enjoy the delicious Arabian Lamb Pies as a tasty appetizer or main course!
You can also freeze the unbaked lamb pies for later use. Just place them on a baking sheet and freeze until solid, then transfer them to an airtight container or freezer bag. When ready to bake, simply place the frozen pies on a lined baking sheet, brush them with egg wash, and bake in a preheated oven at 180°C (350°F) for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown and cooked through.
I hope you enjoy making and eating these delicious Arabian Lamb Pies! They are perfect for gatherings or as a savory snack. Enjoy the aromatic flavors of Middle Eastern spices and the tender, flavorful lamb filling encased in a crispy pastry crust. Happy cooking!